Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Apr 13, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Admission, Registration, and Fees

  • Admission
    • Eligibility, Dual Enrollment/K-12 Students, College of Record, Application, Equal Access, Residence Classification, Establishing Residence, Reclassification to Resident Status, International Students
  • Matriculation  
    • Complete Math and English/ESL Placement, Submit Transcripts, Advisement, Develop a First Semester Plan, Orientation
  • Placement: Writing, Mathematics, and ESL Classes  
    • Assessment and Placement in Writing, Mathematics, and English as a Second Language Classes
  • Enrollment Priority  
    • New Students and Returning Students, Continuing Students, Freshman Advantage Students
  • Registration Times  
    • Registration Levels, Appeal Process, Registration Open Enrollment Policy, MySite, Maintaining Student Contact Information, Registration Restrictions
  • Enrolling in Classes  
    • Definitions, How to Demonstrate That You Have Met a Prerequisite, Auditing Classes, Adding Classes, Attendance, Waitlists, Student Photo ID, Dropping Classes, Withdrawal from Classes, Repeating Courses, Reenrolling
  • Tuition and Fee Information  
    • Enrollment Fee, Nonresident Student Fees, Instructional Materials Fee, Health Fee, ASIVC Access, Student Representation Fee, Transcript or Enrollment Verification Fee, Returned Check Fee and Refunds, Parking Fee and Refunds


EligibilityStudents in the Student Services Center

Irvine Valley College is one of two colleges in the South Orange County Community College District, which also includes Saddleback College. Students may apply to only one college. However, students may take classes at either college.

You may attend Irvine Valley College if you are:

  • A high school graduate (or have a High School Equivalency Certificate); or 
  • 18 years old or older and show evidence of being able to benefit from instruction; or 
  • A high school student, grades 9-12 (High school students may attend as special part-time students with permission from their high schools. Applications and permit forms are available online.); or
  • In the eighth grade or under, with recommendation from your school principal and approval of the instructor and school dean. Students in the eighth grade or under should consult the Office of Admissions and Records for further details, including specific deadlines for filing the Special Admission Request for K-12 Students.

Individuals holding valid non-immigrant visas, which federal law prohibits from enrolling in a course of stay, are not admissible.

Dual Enrollment/K-12 Students

There are three ways that K-12 students can enroll at IVC. For specific information on enrolling in a dual enrollment program, visit our website at Dual Enrollment provides students in grades K-12 the unique opportunity to take community college classes taught by college professors. These courses allow students to get a head start on their higher education goals and receive college credit. 

High school students seeking to participate in one or more General Dual Enrollment courses or a CCAP program must complete the appropriate paperwork. Approval is required from a student’s parent or guardian and high school principal or their designee. The appropriate paperwork must be completed at the onset of their participation in General Dual Enrollment courses or a CCAP program and is valid for the duration of their time as a high school student. A student’s parent or guardian may revoke their consent by submitting a written request with the office of Admissions & Records. Special admission requests must be submitted at least two business days prior to the availability of online registration for high school students. 

K-12 students must also meet all course prerequisites. Prerequisites met with high school courses must be cleared by presenting a high school transcript to the Office of Admissions and Records. All classes taken by K-12 students will be posted on the IVC transcript and will be counted in the same manner as college students. Classes are not marked or given different annotations if taken by a K-12 student. Questions regarding admission to Irvine Valley College may be sent via email to:

Dual Enrollment and Physical Education/Kinesiology Classes

K-12 students are limited to participating in a maximum of 11 units per semester or summer session. The Education Code places enrollment restrictions on physical education/kinesiology courses for concurrently enrolled students. Consequently, IVC does not permit K-12 students to enroll in physical education/kinesiology courses. K-12 students who have been identified for progress or academic probation will not be allowed to participate at the college as special part-time students until they have graduated from high school.

back to top

College and Career Access Pathway (CCAP) Students

The College and Career Access Pathway (CCAP) is a special part-time dual enrollment program designed for K-12 students to enroll in specific designated community college level course(s) taught by Irvine Valley College and offered in agreement with specific secondary schools. CCAP students may participate in up to 15 units in CCAP designated courses.

Early College Pathway (ECP) Students

The Early College Pathway (ECP) at Beckman High School is a partnership that allows academically qualified students to dual enroll in classes at Beckman High School and IVC. Upon completion of the program, students will earn a high school diploma and an lntersegmental General Education Course 
(IGETC) Certification, which is 51 transferable credits to the UCs and CSUs. Program completers participate in IVC Commencement and many are accepted to four-year colleges, including UCs, CSUs, and colleges out of state. 

College of Record

You may only apply to Irvine Valley College or Saddleback College; this will be designated as your college of record. In addition, your college of record is where you complete all admission steps (application, placement, advisement, academic plan, orientation); receive support services, such as financial aid, DSPS, EOPS and other special services; and plan to complete your educational goal. Should you need to discuss or change your college of record, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records.


Students who are enrolling in the South Orange County Community College District for the first time and former students returning after an absence of more than two semesters (not including summer) must submit an application for admission, either online or in person.

  • Online: Visit the IVC website: Select “Apply”, then choose “What type of student are you?”
  • In Person: Complete an online application at one of our computers located in the lobby of the Student Services Center, Irvine Valley College, 5500 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine.

Applications for admission open on the following dates:

Fall semester: February 1
Spring semester: August 1
Summer session: February 1

Equal Access

It is the policy of Irvine Valley College and the South Orange County Community College District to provide all persons with equal educational opportunities regardless of gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. The lack of English language skills will not be a barrier for admission to vocational education programs. Questions or complaints regarding access of students with disabilities to any college program or service, or questions or complaints regarding discrimination or harassment may be directed to: Vice President for Student Services, Irvine Valley College, 5500 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine CA, 92618, 949-451‑5214. The Vice President for Student Services serves as the college ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Section 504 Coordinator and Title IX Coordinator.

Residence Classification

Each person enrolled in or applying for admission to a California community college, for purposes of admission and/or tuition, is classified as either a California resident or a nonresident. Students classified as nonresidents will be required to pay additional tuition and fees. 

“Resident students” are those who have resided within California for at least one year prior to the residence determination date and have met the residency standards stipulated in Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. The “residence determination date” is the day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction each semester or summer session during which the student proposes to attend college in the South Orange County Community College District.

“Nonresident students” are those who have not established California residence status in the state for at least one year prior to the residence determination date or those who hold certain non-immigrant visas which preclude them from establishing residence. Foreign students admitted to the United States under student visas are classified as nonresidents.

The Office of Admissions and Records determines the residence status of all new and former students for tuition purposes, based on responses provided in the college application for admission and, if necessary, other evidence furnished by the student.


The California Education Code allows certain nonresidents the opportunity to pay in-state tuition. Eligibility criteria are noted below. Students who believe they are eligible for an exemption based on any one of the following criteria should consult the Office of Admissions and Records when they apply:

  1. Students who are members of the armed forces of the United States who are stationed in this state on active duty, except those assigned to California for educational purposes.

  2. Spouses and dependents (natural or adopted children or stepchildren) of active members of the armed forces.

  3. Students who are eligible as covered individuals as defined in the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACA Act) who are taking advantage of their Chapter 30 or 33 benefits or who use educational assistance under Chapter 31.

  4. Parents who are federal civil service employees and have moved to California as a result of a military realignment action that involves the relocation of at least 100 employees. This exemption also applies to the natural or adopted children or stepchildren of such employees.

  5. Students who are under 20 years old and served by the California Foster Care System.

  6. Students who have completed at least three years of high school or adult school in California and have graduated from a California high school or the equivalent who are eligible by completing the “AB 540 Affidavit for Exemption” for consideration.

  7. K-12 special part-time students, other than non-immigrant aliens, participating in a College and Career Access Pathways (CCAP) partnership program or a K-12 special part-time student (non-CCAP - concurrently enrolled high school student).

back to top

Establishing Residence

Legal residence may be established by an adult who is physically present in the state and who, at the same time, intends to make California his or her permanent home. The prospective resident must take steps at least one year and one day prior to the residence determination date to show an intent to make California a permanent home and, concurrently, relinquish legal residency in the state of his or her prior home. There are various steps that one may take to demonstrate the intent to become a California resident. The Office of Admissions and Records will assist any student who wishes to establish residency, providing recommendations for each individual case. 

For general purposes, the following are some, but not the only ways to show one has taken the necessary steps toward becoming a California resident:

  1. Registered to vote and voted in elections in California.

  2. Filed resident California state income tax.

  3. Owned and resided in a residential property, or consistently or continually occupied or rented an apartment on a lease basis.

  4. Maintained licensing from California for professional practice.

  5. Maintained California vehicle registration and driver’s license.

  6. Maintained active savings and checking accounts in California banks.

  7. Maintained permanent military address and home of record in California, if in the military service.

Note: No single item listed above may establish a case for California residence. It is up to the applicant to offer as many documents as possible to prove validity of the change to California resident.

Reclassification to Resident Status

The request for reclassification to resident status must be initiated by the student. Students who are interested in changing their classification should consult the Office of Admissions and Records. Evidence of presence in and intent to reside in California-for at least one year and one day prior to a coming semester’s start date-is required for consideration of a change in status and must be submitted for a residence review.  Students should allow up to ten working days after submitting their documents for a decision. The burden of proof lies with the student. Residence reclassification must be completed no later than the first two weeks of the semester. Since some petitions require additional documentation to prove a residence case, students should be sure to submit reclassification requests early in an academic term.

International Students

Irvine Valley College welcomes international students on an F-1/student visa and offers a variety of services to support students throughout their studies. The application procedure for international students differs from domestic students. International applicants should be aware of application deadlines and ensure that all documents are submitted on time. 

IVC admits international students in the fall, spring and summer terms. Prospective students may contact the International Student Center by calling 949-451-5414, email at or visiting

All international students must enroll full-time (12 or more units each semester) in order to maintain their F-1 visa status. IVC international students may enroll in a maximum of 6 units at Saddleback College when certain classes are not offered at IVC. Students should consult the International Student Center for more information. 

In order to apply, international students must submit the following documents by the posted deadlines:

  1. Irvine Valley College CCCApply International Student Application.
  2. Proof of English proficiency. IVC accepts the following English proficiency tests:
    • TOEFL: 52 iBT or 470 paper-based
    • IELTS: 4.5
    • iTEP: 3.5
    • EIKEN: Grade 2A
    • Duolingo: 80
    • Cambridge: 160
    • Pearson: 41
    • GTEC CBT: 900

    The English proficiency requirement may be waived by successfully completing specific levels of instruction at one of IVC’s partner intensive English schools. Please visit for a list of partner schools. 

    Students who graduate from a U.S. high school or whose native language is English are not required to submit proof of English proficiency. Students who have completed the equivalent of Writing 201, Writing 399, Writing 1, or Communication Studies 1 at an accredited U.S. college/university may be able to waive the English proficiency requirement.

  3. A bank statement and Affidavit of Support verifying sufficient funding to meet estimated tuition and living expenses is required to study at Irvine Valley College. Visit for current cost estimates.
  4. Proof of graduation from a secondary school/high school. Official credential evaluation may be required.
  5. Completed Data Form.
  6. Copy of the applicant’s passport information page.

Students transferring from other U.S. schools have additional requirements that must be submitted in addition to the above listed documents.

Students with other types of visas (not F-1) may apply and enroll online through the Office of Admissions and Records at

Irvine Valley College will consider the admission of minors (under the age of 18) on a case-by-case basis. All minor applicants must have an established legal guardian that they are required to live with until they reach the age of 18. A notarized Guardianship Procedures Form must be submitted by the parents and legal guardian. 

All F-1 visa students must purchase the district-mandated health insurance plan as a condition of enrollment. Additionally, international students must complete tuberculosis (TB) testing prior to registering for classes. 

Upon admission, international students will go through the matriculation process, which includes orientation, placement in math and English, academic advising, development of the first-semester MAP (My Academic Plan), and registration for classes. 

Placement results will be used to advise students of the recommended level of enrollment in English/ESL classes.

In addition to matriculation, all international students are required to attend our mandatory International Student Orientation offered one week prior to the start of each semester. 

All international students are required to enroll in the COUN 1 (Counseling 1: Academic Counseling) course during their first semester. The COUN 1 course is designed to assist international students in learning about the resources and services available on campus, graduation and university transfer requirements, and the academic requirements of an American college classroom and graduation or transfer requirements.  

back to top