Feb 26, 2021  
2019-2020 Student Handbook 
2019-2020 Student Handbook [ARCHIVED]

Part 1: Introduction & Applying to IVC

A Great Choice: Irvine Valley College

Did You Know?

IVC has the No. 1 transfer rate in both Orange County and the state of California!

Photo of the IVC library building and campus landscapingCampus

Irvine Valley College combines a small‑college environment with modern facilities and equipment; dedicated staff; and an excellent faculty who combine knowledge and experience with a sincere commitment to student learning. Irvine Valley College also has gone smoke-free; for more information, please visit smokefree.ivc.edu.

Enrolling Is Easy

Just fill out an application online. Visit the IVC Admissions page and then follow the instructions. After applying and before registering for classes, students are required to complete advisement, their first semester academic plan, and orientation, unless exempted.

Classes Fit Your Schedule

IVC offers classes during the day, evening, and weekend, for eight weeks or full semesters - on campus, online, or in a hybrid mode (a mix of online and on-campus classes), for your convenience.

Academic Programs

IVC offers two-year associate degrees in over 80 majors in the liberal arts and sciences, business sciences, social sciences, and technologies. You can complete general education and pre-major requirements for transfer to four-year colleges. You can also train for a specific job by earning a certificate in one of more than 60 career and technical programs. Or you can take courses for your own personal development.

Student Life

The Office of Student Life and Equity Programs houses both Student Equity and the ASG of IVC. The Office of Student Life and Equity Programs is committed to providing meaningful services, activities and communications that build community; ensure academic success; encourage creative expression, personal growth, and well-being; foster diversity, equity and social justice; and promote student advocacy and leadership. In addition to a variety of student clubs, throughout the year there are art exhibits, concerts, dance and theatre performances, and special events. The 13 IVC athletic teams include state and national champions in men’s and women’s sports.

Honors Program and Honor Societies

The excellent IVC Honors Program comprises approximately 45 honors classes for academically talented and highly motivated students, and offers program members transfer advantages. IVC also has an award-winning chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the international honors organization for two-year colleges, and an active chapter of Psi Beta, the national honors organization in psychology for community college students.

We Help You Succeed

IVC offers extensive support services to help you succeed. These include counseling on choosing a major and selecting classes; career counseling; transfer assistance; help with basic English and math skills; free tutoring; childcare; assistance for veterans and international students; health care; and services for low-income students and students with a disability.

The Transfer Advantage

It is easier for a community college student to transfer to a University of California or California State University campus than it is for a student applying directly out of high school. The grade point eligibility index is lower, and community college students are given priority for admission. It is also much less expensive to fulfill general education and lower-division major requirements at the community college. Community college students are typically very successful after transfer. Currently, IVC’s transfer rate is #1 among all California community colleges. Another bonus is that IVC has transfer agreements and/or Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAGs) with UC and CSU campuses. The IVC Transfer Center also hosts visits from college representatives throughout the year. Typically, over 50 four-year universities participate in the annual IVC Transfer Fair. 

back to top

Seven Key Steps to Success in Your First Semester

Graphic displaying the following steps to success: Apply to IVC, apply for financial aid, assessment, advisement and first semester plan, orientation, register online, and attend classes. Remember to send your official transcripts from any other colleges to Admissions and Records.

Step 1: Apply to IVC 

If you are 18 years or older or a high school graduate, have never attended IVC, or have been away from IVC for one semester, you must complete an application online at admissions.ivc.edu.

Step 2: Apply for Financial Aid 

While applying for financial aid is not required, we highly recommend that students do so. The Federal Application for Free Student Aid (FAFSA) is available at fafsa.ed.gov.

Step 3: Show Transcripts

Students must submit their high school transcripts showing successful completion of math and English courses through the 11th grade. Students who have completed coursework with a grade of C or better at another accredited US college may electronically submit their transcript for math and/or English placement consideration. Students may also submit AP exam scores (in English composition, calculus, an/or statistics) with a score of 3 or higher. Contact your high school or college for details on how to submit your transcripts to Irvine Valley College. If you are unable to access your high school transcripts, contact the Admissions and Records Office at 949-451-5220.

Step 4: Advisement and First Semester Plan 

Advisement helps you choose your classes for your first semester, and is available online or in person:

•    Online advisement: Log in to MySite, then click on My Information, Matriculation, Online Orientation, or

•    In person advisement: Group advisement sessions are offered. Register at admissions.ivc.edu/matriculation. Click on Advisement, Advisement Overview.

•    Online first semester plan: Log in to MySite, then click on My Academic Plan, First Semester Plan.

Step 5: Orientation

Orientation will introduce you to the college’s programs, services, policies, and expectations. Once you have applied to IVC and received your student ID number via email, you will be able to complete orientation online or in person. 

•    Online: Access the online orientation 24/7 from any computer with internet access through your MySite account. Click on My Information, Matriculation, Online Orientation. 

•    In person: To sign up for an in-person orientation, visit admissions.ivc.edu/matriculation. Click on Orientation, New Student Orientation.

PRO TIP: MySite is a service of the South Orange County Community College District (Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College). A MySite account allows students to register, manage and review their academic information while attending one of the SOCCCD campuses. Visit MySite through the IVC home page. Click on the MySite button at www.ivc.edu. For more information on MySite, see Online Services below.

Step 6: Registration 

You may register upon successful completion of advisement and orientation, or if you are exempted from matriculation (see Student Success and Support Program). Students who are exempted receive a much later registration time (see Enrollment Priorities in Part 2: Enrollment and Placement  for more information). To find your registration date and time, log in to MySite. Click on My Information.

To register for classes on your assigned registration date and time, log in to MySite. Click on My Classes, Register for Classes.

Step 7: Attend Classes

Do not miss the first class meeting. If you are absent, you risk bring dropped to make room for students who are waiting to enroll.  Contact your instructor if you cannot be present at the first class!

PRO TIP: Take responsibility for your success in college. Keep track of deadlines and due dates, instructors’ office hours, and the many IVC resources available to help you succeed. The most successful students are those who take responsibility for themselves.

back to top

Technology Support Services and Online Resources

The Technology Services Help Desk provides phone, and online chat support for campus technology and other computing needs to students. Visit https://tech.ivc.edu/ for access to online resources regarding user manuals on:

  • Login Issues
  • Email Issues
  • Canvas Issues
  • Password Resets
  • Student Printing


Canvas™ is the college’s Learning Management System (LMS). Canvas provides students with an online learning community along with other tools to assist them in getting the most out of their courses. Students participate in course lessons by accessing the Canvas site, located at https://canvas.ivc.edu. Students are able to interact with course content (including articles, audio and video, and submitting exams, homework, and quizzes) and interact with their instructor and classmates through various areas.

Instructors inform students at the class orientation or by email about how to use the Canvas system. Students officially enrolled in an online class may access the account at https://canvas.ivc.edu once their teacher publishes their course, with a valid user name and password. Students can view articles and videos about Canvas at the following website: https://tech.ivc.edu. Students can find technology support at https://tech.ivc.edu. Google Chrome is the recommended web browser and specifically required for certain features.

Wifi Access

Irvine Valley College offers currently enrolled students WiFi access while on campus. If you have a WiFi-enabled device, you can access the Internet from most locations on campus. You will need to use your college email address and email password to login.

By logging into the Irvine Valley College WiFi Network, you are entering into a binding agreement to adhere to South Orange County Community College District (SOCCCD) Electronic Communications Administrative Regulation 4000.2.

Student Print

Irvine Valley College’s Student Print Queue system allows you to:

  • Add files to your Printer queue from on or off campus
  • Email a file to your Printer queue
  • Pay with credit card
  • Print double-sided to reduce your carbon footprint
  • Make color copies
  • Release print jobs at any of the student print locations at IVC
  • Release print jobs at IVC that were printed at one of Saddleback’s student print locations and vice versa

To be ready to print when you arrive on campus, you must first Register and Add Funds to your account. This can be done on or off campus. Officially enrolled students may access the account at https://printing.ivc.edu/myprintcenter/ with a valid user name and password.

Online Services (Including MySite)


MySite is the IVC web portal that provides students with online access to college services. It works across all platforms, as well as on mobile devices (eg. tablets and smartphones). Access to MySite is through the IVC website: www.ivc.edu. Use your student username and email password to log in to MySite for functions like:

  • My Classes (Register for Classes; Make Payment; Refund Information; Shopping Cart; Current Classes; Change Grading Option; Unofficial Grades; Academic History; and Class Status);
  • My Information (Matriculation: Assessment and Placement Results, Online Advisement, Online Orientation, and Placement Information; Appointments; Change Address; Reminders; 1098-T Information; and Fee Statement);
  • My Academic Plan (MAP);
  • My Email

Student Email

All students are automatically given email accounts within 24 hours after applying to the college. User names are assigned automatically (customized names are not provided), and accounts are continued with no interruption in service as long as the student remains enrolled in contiguous semesters (excluding summer). Students may change their initial password and forward copies of their student email to another account (e.g., their home email) by logging into MySite. However, faculty and staff use the official student-provided email address to correspond. It is highly recommended to always check your school email at https://outlook.com/ivc.edu

Approximately three weeks after the start of a semester, continuing students who have not enrolled in at least one class for the new semester will have their email accounts deleted. Students who drop all of their classes will have both their email accounts and any messages deactivated. 

For the most current information about how to use student email accounts, students should log on to www.socccd.edu/email and read “Your Email Information” or go to https://tech.ivc.edu.

Example: If your name is James Bernardo, your user name is jbernardo0. Important: Student email accounts always end in a number. Your account name may end with a zero or any other number, but it will never end with the letter “o” or “l.” Your student email address is: jbernardo0@ivc.edu. Your default email password is: Your PIN plus two zeros. For example, if your PIN is 3456, your default password is 345600. Your domain is:  IVC-STUDENT. To change your password, log in to MySite. Under your profile on the right, click on “Change PIN/Password.” Click on “Change Password.”

Important Notice: Student email privileges are designed solely for educational purposes. District policy forbids personal, recreational or commercial use of college computers, e-mail and Internet services.

Online Educational Counseling

Online counseling is an extension of drop-in counseling. Students can access this service from students.ivc.edu/counselingcenter.

Online Orientation

IVC’s online orientation is available to students 24/7/365 from any computer with Internet access. The orientation provides students with valuable information regarding the many services, policies, and opportunities available at IVC. It is designed to give students a comprehensive overview of the Irvine Valley College experience. The orientation is fully accessible to the visually impaired.

Once students have applied to IVC and received their student ID number, they may access the online orientation through MySite. After students have completed their matriculation requirements, they may return to this resource.

Online Advisement

IVC’s online advisement is available to students 24/7/365 through MySite from any computer with Internet access. The advisement takes students step-by-step through the process of identifying which classes they can take during their first semester at IVC. Advisement is specific to each individual student and is based on recommended classes identified through the student’s placement results, educational goal, and personal interests. Students may review the advisement session multiple times, ask questions, and develop backup schedules from the convenience of their home or other location.

Students are eligible to complete the online advisement after completing their online orientation and receiving their recommended classes (available for viewing on MySite). Successful completion of the online advisement allows students to enroll in their first semester classes on their assigned registration date and time.

Online Education: Online Classes

Online education is the process of learning, researching, and interacting outside of a campus environment. Online education at Irvine Valley College is conducted on the Internet via the college’s learning management system (see below). Each class has a specific IVC instructor who serves as a personal contact to answer student questions, provide review opportunities, and administer examinations throughout the semester. 

Students must meet the specific requirements of the course and participate responsibly.  Any student enrolling in an online class is required to go to this website link for orientation information: academics.ivc.edu/DE.

back to top

Tips to Starting Off Right

Submit Official Transcripts

Send official transcripts from previous colleges and universities you have attended to IVC. You will need to submit official transcripts to show that you have completed a course prerequisite or to request an exemption from matriculation.

Send official transcripts to IVC Office of Admissions and Records, 5500 Irvine Center Dr., Irvine, CA 92618.

Know Your Residency Classification - General Provisions

Every person, by law, has a legal residence, and there can only be one legal residence. Each person applying to a California community college must be classified as a resident or nonresident. The cost of education for California residents is subsidized by taxpayers. Nonresidents cover the full cost of their education.

Students must be able to provide evidence of living in California, coupled with intent to make California one’s permanent home for no less than one year and one day prior to the start of the term. Since intent is a subjective state of mind, California considers the following documents objective measures of one’s intent:

  1. Federal tax transcript for the previous year and the corresponding California state income tax return (CA 540 or CA 540 NR), accompanied by appropriate W2s. (W2 statements alone are not sufficient).

  2. Evidence of employment in California (two pay stubs – one recent, and one from one year ago; letter on company letterhead verifying employment).

  3. Continuous occupancy of rented or leased residential property in California (the lease agreement must list your name as a lessee or occupant), or ownership and living in residential property.

  4. Proof of being a registered voter in California.

  5. Possession of a California driver license or California identification card.

  6. Being the registered owner of a car registered in California.

  7. Evidence of active checking and/or savings account drawn on a California bank branch with a California address associated with the account (two bank statements – one recent and one from one year ago).

  8. Possession of a California professional license (real estate license, medical or law license, etc.)

California law stipulates the burden of proof rests with the student.

Some more general rules:

  1. Unmarried students who are under 19 years of age automatically derive their residency from the parent with whom they last resided. Students who are 19 years old have had the year between their 18th and 19th birthdate to obtain the documents to establish the requisite intent to prove their own residency. 

  2. Married individuals derive their residency independent of their spouse. A married woman does not automatically derive residency from her husband, and vice-versa. While many documents may be shared, married individuals must be able to produce evidence of their individual intent.

  3. Individuals holding the following visas may not establish residency in California, regardless of the length of time they have lived in California: B-1/B-2, C, D-1/D-2, F-1/F-2, H-2/H-3, J-1/J-2, M-1/M-2, O-2, P-1/P-2/P-3/P-4, Q, or TN/TD. Additionally, undocumented aliens are not eligible for residence classification.

  4. Merely residing in California is insufficient to make a claim of residency for tuition purposes.  


The California Education Code and provisions in state law allow certain nonresidents the opportunity to pay in-state fees. Eligibility criteria are noted at right. Students who believe they are eligible for an exemption based on any one of the following criteria should consult the Office of Admissions and Records when they apply:     

  1. Students who are members of the armed forces of the United States who are stationed in this state on active duty, except those assigned to California for educational purposes.     
  2. Spouses and dependents (natural or adopted children or stepchildren) of active members of the armed forces.     
  3. Students who are eligible as covered individuals as defined in the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACA Act), who are taking advantage of their Chapter 30 or 33 benefits, or who use educational assistance under Chapter 31.     
  4. Parents who are federal civil service employees and have moved to California as a result of a military realignment action that involves the relocation of at least 100 employees. This exemption also applies to the natural or adopted children or stepchildren of such employees.     
  5. A nonresident student who lives in California and who is under 20 years old and was served by the California Foster Care System may be entitled to a resident classification.
  6. Students who have completed at least three years of high school or adult school in California and have graduated from a California high school or the equivalent who are eligible by completing the “AB 540 Affidavit for Exemption” for consideration.
  7. K-12 special part-time students, other than non-immigrant aliens, participating in a College and Career Access Pathways (CCAP) partnership program or a K-12 special part-time student (non-CCAP - concurrently enrolled high school student).


It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the reclassification to resident status (consult the Office of Admissions and Records). Reclassification forms and directions are available on the IVC website under the Admissions section. Evidence from the list of documents provided on the residency questionnaire confirming your presence and your intent to remain in California may be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records, along with the residency questionnaire. Remember, your documents must be one year and one day old before the semester begins. The burden of proof lies with you.

back to top

Units: How Many Should You Take?

College Units

  • Photo showing a class at IVCA college “unit” (or “student hour”) is a term used to define the time value of a course.
  • A one-unit lecture class typically requires one (1) hour of in‑class instruction and two (2) hours of student work outside of class per week for a 16-18 week semester. 
  • In a lab class, the majority of the student’s work is done in class. A one-unit lab class typically requires three (3) hours of class instruction for a 16-18 week semester.

When deciding how many units to take, it is very important to plan time for attending class; completing reading assignments, writing assignments, and other homework assignments; and studying. You are expected to be fully prepared for each class before the class period begins. For each 1 unit of in-class time for a lecture class, schedule 2-3 hours per week for studying. For example, a student enrolling in 12 lecture units should plan on a weekly total of 36 hours for school: 12 hours for in-class attendance, and at least 24 hours of study outside of class. Do not overload yourself when you register for classes. Design a course load that is reasonable for your level of energy and motivation.

If you are going to school and working, the maximum amount of work recommended is as follows:

Work  Take no more than
40 hours per week 3-6 units
30 hours per week 6-9 units
20 hours per week  9-12 units
5-15 hours per week 12-15 units

The example below illustrates how many hours you should expect to manage for work and school each week:

Chart showing the number of recommended units based on the number of hours per week. For 3-6 units, it is recommended that students work no more than 40 hours per week, and it is recommended that students spend 18 hours in and out of the classroom.

You may take as little as .5 unit and as much as 19 units during a single semester. If you want to take more than 19 units and have a cumulative 3.0 GPA, you may request additional units by completing an overload petition form in the Counseling Center.

back to top

Financial Aid Programs

Federal Programs

Photo showing the IVC financial aid officeYou must be a US citizen or an eligible noncitizen and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for any of the programs discussed below. If you are in default on a student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant, you are not eligible for federal student aid. For additional information, visit the Financial Aid Office website.

Federal Pell Grant

Provides grants to needy undergraduates who have not already received a bachelor’s degree. The maximum award for the 2018-2019 year is $6,095. Eligibility is based on factors like student and parent income and assets, household size, and the number of family members (excluding parents) attending postsecondary schools. Grant amounts are dependent on the student’s expected family contribution (EFC), the cost of attendance (as determined by the institution), the student’s enrollment status, and whether the student attends a full academic year. NOTE: Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is designed to help undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional need (according to the federal formula). You will automatically be considered for this grant if you complete the FAFSA. To receive the FSEOG, you must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Funding is very limited and given first to students with zero EFC’s.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program funds part-time job opportunities for students with financial need (according to the federal formula). Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units at IVC. Funding is very limited and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office. 

Federal Direct Loans

Long-term, low-interest loans are available through the US Department of Education. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units and complete a FAFSA. Loan amounts vary depending on grade level. Please contact the Financial Aid Office or visit our website for additional requirements and applying for Direct Loans.

back to top

State Programs

You must be a US citizen or an eligible noncitizen and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for any of the programs discussed below. AB 540 students will need to complete the California Dream App. If you are in default on a student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant, you are not eligible for federal student aid. For additional information, visit the Financial Aid Office website.

California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governors [BOG] Fee Waiver Program

The most popular financial aid program at IVC, the CC Promise Grant, waives tuition fees for eligible California residents who have financial need. CC Promise Grant applications are linked to the Financial Aid Office website. Waivers expire June 30 each year and must be renewed for the next year. Students can also complete the FAFSA or Dream App (for AB 540 students only) form to qualify for the CC Promise Grant.

Students who are on probation for their last two consecutive semesters (fall and spring semesters) will lose eligibility for the CC Promise Grant. Students may appeal the loss of CC Promise Grant eligibility under the following conditions:

  1. Student has a disability and applied for reasonable accommodations with Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS), but did not receive services in a timely manner.

  2. Student has made significant academic improvement.

  3. Student has experienced extenuating circumstances (accident, illness or other circumstance beyond the student’s control).

  4. Student requests special consideration because they are receiving CalWORKs benefits, or DSPS, EOPS, veterans, foster youth or homeless services.

  5. Student has not enrolled at IVC or Saddleback College for two consecutive semesters since becoming ineligible for the CC Promise Grant.

Students must submit their appeal to the Office of Admissions and Records.

Cal Grant

Cal Grants are state grants awarded to California residents. In addition to the FAFSA form (or Dream App for AB 540 students) by March 2, you must submit a GPA verification form to the California Student Aid Commission by the filing deadline. GPA verification forms and more information on the Cal Grant program are available at www.csac.ca.gov.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

EOPS is a state-funded program for full-time students enrolled in 12 or more units who are financially and educationally disadvantaged, have completed less than 70 degree-applicable units, and demonstrate an educational disadvantage as outlined by the state. Among the services provided are academic/career counseling, a book service program, extended tutoring, a student grant program, and work-study opportunities. Funding is limited. You must complete a Board of Governors Fee Waiver application (BOG B recipient) as well as a separate EOPS application to apply. Contact the EOPS Office in SSC 220 for eligibility requirements at 949-451-5243 or eops@ivc.edu, or visit students.ivc.edu/eops.


Irvine Valley College offers scholarships through the college’s Foundation Office and generous donors, which are awarded on the basis of academic achievement, financial need, and campus or community service. The Scholarship Selection Committee reviews student scholarship applications and, for some scholarships, conducts an oral interview. Scholarship applications are available in November of each year at financialaid.ivc.edu. Applicants are notified in May if they are awarded a scholarship. For additional information, please visit the Scholarship page on the Financial Aid Office website.

back to top

How to Apply for Financial Aid

IVC Financial Aid Office
Telephone:  949-451-5287    
Fax:  949-451-5459
Email: ivcfinancialaid@ivc.edu  
Website: financialaid.ivc.edu
Office Location: SSC 130    
IVC Federal School Code: 025395

Financial aid is intended to help qualifying students pay for college expenses including books, fees, transportation, and other educationally related costs. The IVC Financial Aid Office encourages students to become informed about the variety of aid programs available to them.   

Who Qualifies for Financial Aid?

To receive aid, you must:

  1. Prove financial need based on federal and state guidelines (for need-based aid programs).
  2. Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
  3. Be enrolled as a regular student working towards an eligible degree or certificate.
  4. Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen (international and AB 540 students, please visit the Financial Aid Office website for more details).
  5. Be making satisfactory academic progress.
  6. Not be in default on any educational loan or owe a refund on an educational grant. 
  7. Have a Social Security Number (specifically for federal aid).
  8. Register with the Selective Service System (applies to male students only).

What to Expect from the IVC Financial Aid Office After Submitting Your Application

  • An email notifying you that your FAFSA/Dream App was received.

  • A Document Request Email notifying you of additional information needing to be submitted. You can find financial aid forms on our website: financialaid.ivc.edu.

  • Financial Aid Award Email: Once your financial aid file is complete, we will review your financial aid eligibility and send you an award letter by email to tell you the type of program(s) you qualified for and the amount of aid you are eligible to receive.

  • Financial Aid Disbursement Option Email: Student financial aid is disbursed through Nelnet directly to your personal checking or savings accounts, through a reloadable debit card, or by paper check. Please visit the Disbursement Information page on the IVC Financial Aid Office website for more information.   

Federal Student Financial Aid Deadline:
Submit 2018-2019 FAFSA on the Web
applications by June 30, 2020.

back to top

To Apply for a FAFSA

Applying for financial aid is a three-step process. You must make sure that you complete each step:

  1. Get your FSA ID: An FSA ID is used to log into the FAFSA, make corrections, and sign the FAFSA electronically. Parents of dependent students will need to request an FSA ID to complete the FAFSA. FSA IDs can be created online by going to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm

  2. Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov: Once the IVC Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA information, we will send an email either confirming receipt of your information or requesting additional forms. These forms are required to complete your financial aid file.

  3. Complete your file: You can find most of the necessary documents to complete your file on the IVC Financial Aid website at financialaid.ivc.edu. Your eligibility for financial aid cannot be determined until you return all requested documents. Once your file has been reviewed by a financial aid specialist, you will receive an award email regarding your financial aid eligibility.

To Apply for a Cal Grant

For Cal Grant consideration, you must complete the FAFSA form (or Dream App for AB 540 students) by March 2 each year. Transferring IVC students can also apply for the competitive grant by September 2 each year. Students will also need to submit a GPA Verification Form, which is available on the CSAC website at www.csac.ca.gov. You can create a user account with CSAC to check your award status at https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov

You do not have to submit a GPA Verification Form if you have completed at least 16 units of college level coursework at IVC, as the college will send your GPA information electronically to the state. More information is available on the Cal Grant page on the Financial Aid Office website.

To Apply for a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governors [BOG] Fee Waiver)

Complete the CC Promise Grant application online at https://bog.opencccapply.net/gateway/bog?cccMisCode=892 or go to the How to Apply page on the Financial Aid Office website.

The CC Promise Grant application requires an IVC student ID number and Social Security Number (SSN). Failure to provide an IVC student ID and SSN will result in an incomplete application. Applications that are incomplete will not be processed. 

If you have not applied to the college and do not have an IVC student ID number, do so before completing a CC Promise Grant application. Go to admissions.ivc.edu to complete an application to the college.

Please allow 24-48 hours for your CC Promise Grant application to be processed and your fees reversed.

Helpful Hints for Completing a CC Promise Grant​ Application:

•    Don’t assume the CC Promise Grant will automatically cover your fees. Please check your payment due date on MySite and pay any outstanding fees. If you do not pay your fees by the deadline, your classes will be dropped.

•    If you are eligible for the CC Promise Grant and have paid your fees, you may request a refund from the Bursar’s Office. Enrollment fees will be refunded for the current semester only. 

•    Students can also apply for the CC Promise Grant by completing the 19-20 FAFSA form or 19-20 Dream App (for AB 540 students). Please allow 1-2 weeks for the Financial Aid Office to receive your FAFSA and update your CC Promise Grant eligibility on MySite. 

back to top

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal and state regulations require that students maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to be eligible to receive financial aid. The purpose of this requirement is to encourage all students to progress steadily at a reasonable rate toward graduation, transfer or completion of their educational goal. The Financial Aid Office at IVC will evaluate all aid recipients once each term to ensure that they are meeting all components of satisfactory progress. 

Students must meet all of the following academic standards to receive financial aid:

  1. Maintain a cumulative district GPA of 2.0.
  2. Complete 70% of all classes enrolled.
  3. Complete associate degree by 90 units of enrolled coursework, or 45 units for a certificate program.
  4. Not have an AA, AS, bachelor’s or higher degree.

Return of Title IV Funds

When a recipient of federal student aid (Title IV grant or loan) withdraws completely from the college before completing 60% of the enrollment period, federal law requires repayment of part of the aid received. The amount that must be repaid will depend upon the percentage of the semester completed. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student regarding the amount owed and repayment options. Any aid recipient who needs to withdraw from all classes should contact the Financial Aid Office before dropping. More information on the effects of aid recipients dropping classes can be viewed on the Financial Aid Policies & Procedures page of the Financial Aid Office website.  

Financial Aid Disbursements: Nelnet Student Choice Refunds

Irvine Valley College has partnered with Nelnet to provide student financial aid disbursement services. Through this service, you to choose how you would like to receive your financial aid disbursements by depositing directly into your personal checking or savings account, through a reloadable debit card, or by paper check. More information on the disbursement process can be found on the Disbursement Information page of the Financial Aid Office website.

back to top

Student Success and Support Program

Photo showing students working on computerMatriculation provides services designed to promote the student’s efforts toward completing their educational goals. These services include 1) placement, 2) advisement and the development of an initial and comprehensive MAP (academic plan), and 3) orientation. These services are a partnership between the student and IVC. Students are expected to complete key processes upon successful completion of specific milestones. You will be exempt from these steps and will receive a later registration time if one of the following applies:

  1. You have completed an associate degree or higher.

  2. You have enrolled in IVC for one of the following reasons:

    1. To maintain a license for employment or occupation.

    2. Personal development.

  3. You have enrolled solely to complete courses for legally mandated training.

  4. You are a four-year college/university student enrolling in IVC to satisfy requirements for their four-year college/university.

  5. You are concurrently enrolled as a K-12 Special Admit.

1. Submit High School Transcript

Students must submit their high school transcripts showing successful completion of math and English courses through the 11th grade. Students who have completed coursework with a grade of C or better at another accredited US college may electronically submit their transcript for math and/or English placement consideration. Students may also submit AP exam scores (in English composition, calculus, an/or statistics) with a score of 3 or higher. Contact your high school or college for details on how to submit your transcripts to Irvine Valley College. If you are unable to access your high school transcripts, contact the Admissions and Records Office at 949-451-5220.

ESL (Non-native) Assessment

Students whose first language is not English are strongly advised to take the ESL Assessment. This assessment has specially designed diagnostics for the English language learner to specifically measure reading/writing and listening/speaking English skills. 

2. Orientation

Orientation introduces students to important policies, procedures and services. Students may access the orientation online through their MySite account 24/7. 

3. Advisement

  1. Advisement sessions are offered online or in groups. Based on their assessment results, student will formulate their initial academic plan, which will cover their first 1-2 semesters.
  2. Developing a Comprehensive MAP:

    Upon completion of 15 associate degree-applicable units, or before enrolling in your fourth semester, you will be required to complete a Comprehensive MAP. The semester-by-semester plan will help you complete your educational goal. Students who fail to complete a Comprehensive MAP will have a hold placed on their MySite account, preventing them from enrolling in classes. There are many opportunities for you to complete your comprehensive academic plan. Enrolling in counseling courses such as COUN 1 - Academic Planning, COUN 2 - UC Student Education Plan, COUN 100A - Education Planning for Certificates and Associate Degrees, and COUN 100B - CSU Student Education Plan may also help you find the direction you are seeking. Group workshops are also offered.

    If you are undecided on a program of study, enrolling in COUN 102 - Career Exploration and Life Planning or visiting the Career Center for assistance are excellent options.

back to top