Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jun 17, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog: September 2022 Edition 
2022-2023 Catalog: September 2022 Edition [ARCHIVED]

Kinesiology for Transfer, AA-T

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program, Degree and Certificate List

Students intending to transfer to a four-year institution with a major in kinesiology, or with an intent to pursue study in recreation or leisure studies, should consult with a faculty member in the School of Kinesiology, Health and Athletics. For complete information on this major, please see the Kinesiology Major Handbook on the IVC Kinesiology website at

The AA in Kinesiology for Transfer is the traditional degree pathway for those interested in a career encompassing studies in this discipline. Steeped in a broad array of topics such as anatomy, physiology, biology and the baseline courses of kinesiology, this degree is for the student with designs on a university experience in Kinesiology, and/or graduate school options that include medical school, physical therapy, sports medicine, rehabilitation, research and teaching.

Those seeking employment in an industrial fitness/club fitness setting are advised to explore the fitness professional certificate program. This one-year program is designed to qualify students to serve as personal trainers, aerobics instructors, and/or strength-training instructors. Those who pursue this program will be educated in the principles of exercise science that apply to fitness evaluation, exercise recommendation, and application of appropriate exercise methods.

Pursuant to SB1440, section 66756, to earn an Associate in Arts in Kinesiology for Transfer (AA-T in Kinesiology) students must:

  • Complete 60 semester or 90 quarter CSU transferable units.
  • Obtain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0.
  • Complete and obtain certification of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC for CSU) pattern.
  • Earn a grade of C or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
  • Complete a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in the major or area of emphasis as determined by the community college district.

Movement-Based Courses (3 units minimum)

 Select one course maximum from any three of the following areas:

Total Units Required: 20-24

To earn the associate for transfer degree:

See Earning an Associate Degree  for associate degree for transfer graduation requirements.

Third-party credentialing:

Third-party credentialing may be subject to change without notice. This information is accurate as of the publication date of this catalog. For the most current information, please consult with the area dean.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program, Degree and Certificate List