Dean: Brooke Bui, PhD
Academic Co-Chairs: Brent Warner; Jeff Wilson
Faculty: Susan Akhavan; Rebecca Beck; Winnie Dinh; Kelicia Galvin; Melanie Haeri; Alice Lin; Amanda Jerome; Savyonne Steindler; Brent Warner; Jeff Wilson
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Department offers English language classes to nonnative speakers of English to help them succeed in college, at their jobs, and in the community. These are credit classes, which means students need to pay fees to take these courses. These courses consist of:
- Academic Writing Courses to prepare students to succeed in other college courses, including Writing 1, and to increase overall advanced English proficiency
- Individual Academic Skills Courses that focus on one skill, such as reading or vocabulary, to increase overall advanced English proficiency
Students from all ages, cultures, and educational backgrounds enroll in our classes in order to improve their English to accomplish their own goals.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the English as a Second Language program, students will be able to
- Write clearly and accurately in a variety of contexts and formats in English.
- Read and comprehend authentic texts in a variety of contexts and formats in English.
- Listen and comprehend spoken English in a variety of contexts and formats in English.
- Speak with comprehensibility and a high degree of fluency in English.