Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Feb 28, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog 
2023-2024 Catalog [ARCHIVED]

Policies and Standards

  • Student Rights  
    • Statement on Freedoms, Nondiscrimination and Harassment Policy, Complaint Procedures, Accommodations for Students with Disabilities, Crime Awareness, Student Privacy Rights, Instructional and Course Material Fees Policy, Student Right-to-Know Disclosure
  • Standards of Student Conduct and Discipline Procedures  
    • Student Code of Conduct, Student Disciplinary Procedures, Debts Owed to the College, Substance Abuse, Acceptable Use Policy: Digital Information, Parking Regulations, Animals/Pets on Campus, Smoking Policy, IVC Social Media Guidelines, Liability Notice

Academic Renewal, Probation, and Dismissal

Academic Renewal

Under certain circumstances, students may elect to have previously completed courses disregarded in the computation of their cumulative grade point average (GPA). This process is known as academic renewal, defined in accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Section 55046. Students must complete the following requirements: 

  1. A petition must be filed on our website at The Registrar or Dean of Enrollment Services is the designated authority for approval of academic renewal.
  2. Accompanying the petition must be evidence that the previous substandard work does not reflect the student’s current performance or capabilities.
  3. Previous substandard work will be disregarded. Substandard grades are defined as “D,” “F,” “FW,” or “NP.” Courses with a grade of “D” used for completion of a degree, certificate or certification are not eligible for academic renewal.
  4. No more than 30 units of coursework can be considered for academic renewal.
  5. Such alleviation shall be permitted only after 18 semester units with a 2.00 GPA, 15 units with a 2.25 GPA, or 12 units with a 2.50 GPA or higher have been completed after the latest requested term for renewal, and a minimum of two (2) terms have elapsed since the earning of the last substandard grades to be alleviated. Work from other accredited colleges may be considered for calculating their GPA. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records in such cases.
  6. When coursework is disregarded in the computation of the cumulative GPA, the student’s academic record will be annotated; all coursework remains on record, ensuring a true and complete academic history. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.

Academic renewal by the South Orange County Community College District does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions. Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade.


In accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 55030-55034, a student whose academic performance falls below standard may be placed on either academic or progress probation. In both cases, it is the responsibility of the student to confer with a counselor regarding their probationary status and/ or to use the services provided by the college to return to satisfactory academic standing. While the student is on probation, the college may require counseling and may restrict the number of units in which the student may enroll. K-12 students identified for academic probation will not be permitted to take IVC classes until after high school graduation.

Qualifying first-time probation students will be informed of their loss in priority registration if they reach two consecutive semesters on probation.

As an early intervention measure, first-time probation students will be blocked from registration until they complete an online student success module.

Academic Probation

A student who has attempted at least 12 semester units at Irvine Valley College and/or Saddleback College is placed on academic probation when the cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0. A student on academic probation will be removed from probation when his or her cumulative grade point average reaches 2.0 or higher. 

Progress Probation

A student who has enrolled in at least 12 semester units at Irvine Valley College and/or Saddleback College is placed on progress probation when the percentage of all units in which he or she has enrolled and for which entries of “W,” “FW,” “I,” and “NP” are recorded reaches or exceeds 50 percent. A student on progress probation shall be removed from probation when the percentage of units in the “W,” “FW,” “I,” and “NP” category drops below 50 percent. 

back to top


In accordance with Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 55030- 55034, any student whose cumulative grade point average falls below 1.75 after three consecutive semesters will be subject to dismissal. A student who remains on progress probation for three consecutive semesters will also be subject to dismissal. A combination of academic probation and progress probation for three consecutive semesters may likewise result in dismissal. Because dismissal is a district process, grades at both Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College are taken into account.

Readmission After Dismissal

Students who have been dismissed from either Irvine Valley College or Saddleback College may petition for readmission after one semester of non-attendance by submitting a Petition for Readmission on our website at The petition process for readmission requires that students meet with a counselor and develop a Contract for Academic Success prior to submitting a petition. Students who are readmitted and fail to maintain a grade point average of 1.75 or higher during the semester following readmission may be dismissed. Students who drop all courses after their readmission is approved will have to go through the readmission process should they decide to return to Irvine Valley College at another time.

Veterans Dismissal

Irvine Valley College enforces a policy relative to standards of conduct and progress expected by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Veterans Services Center is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) of veterans and/or eligible dependents who complete two consecutive semesters on academic or progress probation, regardless of the amount of units. The DVA may terminate benefits, unless it can be shown that the student is pursuing an appropriate objective and has a reasonable chance for success in the chosen programs. Students should consult the Veterans Services Center for details: 949-451-5296.

back to top