Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jul 12, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog: September 2022 Edition 
2022-2023 Catalog: September 2022 Edition [ARCHIVED]

Transfer to a Four-Year Institution


Transfer Planning

IntroductionStudent wearing transfer-oriented mortarboard

There are four segments of higher education in California: (a) the University of California (UC) system with ten campuses; (b) the California State University (CSU) system with 23 campuses; (c) the approximately 75 accredited independent colleges and universities; and (d) the 116 community colleges.

Although an associate degree is not a requirement for transfer, the faculty of the School of Guidance and Counseling at IVC generally recommend that students complete an associate degree. With proper planning, students should be able to meet both the requirements for graduation from Irvine Valley College with an associate degree and the requirements for transfer to a four-year institution. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees are intended to help students achieve both of these goals.

The requirements for earning an associate degree are described here . The Counseling Center also provides specific information about requirements for each associate degree major.

Transfer Center

The Transfer Center is located on the second floor of the Student Services Center in Room SSC 230. The center offers a wide range of services for all students planning to transfer. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the resources that will assist them throughout the transfer process and should make a point of visiting the center each semester they are at IVC. Services offered through the Transfer Center include transfer counseling appointments, university representative appointments, university campus tours, and college fairs. Students are advised to meet with an IVC counselor to plan their program of study in addition to using the Transfer Center resources.

ASSIST Articulation System

ASSIST is the official source for California articulation and student transfer information. It is a computerized student transfer information system that can be accessed at The site displays reports of how course credits earned at one California community college (including IVC) can be applied when transferred to a specific CSU or UC. 

Transfer Majors

Students are advised to access ASSIST at for a complete list of university majors and the campuses where these majors are available. Knowing which courses are required for major preparation will help students plan their educational program more effectively. The Irvine Valley College counseling faculty can also provide valuable assistance to students in pursuing the major and transfer institution of their choice.

General Education/Breadth

Most US educational institutions require a set of general education or breadth requirements to ensure that their graduating students have received a well-rounded education. 

The California State University General Education (CSU GE) and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

The CSU GE and IGETC patterns are articulation agreements intended to assist students who plan to continue their education at a California State University or University of California campus. 

The Transfer Center and Counseling Center have both the CSU GE and the IGETC GE patterns available in their centers as well as online. In addition, the Transfer Center has specific information on general education patterns that California independent colleges accept. Many California independent colleges accept either or both the CSU GE or IGETC GE patterns; however, some do not accept either or both general education patterns. Students are advised to visit the Transfer Center and/or the Counseling Center for any questions or concerns on recommended general education for transferring.