Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Feb 28, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog: December 2017 Edition 
2017-2018 Catalog: December 2017 Edition [ARCHIVED]

Graduation Requirements

  • Earning a Certificate   
    • Waiver of Certificate Requirements, Application for Evaluation, Certificates of Achievement, Certificates of Proficiency
  • Earning an Associate Degree  
    • Associate in Arts and Associate in Science Degrees, Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T), Multiple Majors
  • Associate Degree Graduation Requirements  
    • Filing Deadlines, CSU GE Breadth and IGETC Certification, Commencement, Second Degree Requirements

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

To view the IGETC form, select 2017-18 IGETC Requirements General information may be found below. For more specific information or the most current version of the form, please see a counselor before enrolling in these courses.

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses prospective transfer students attending California community colleges may complete to satisfy the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at both the University of California and the California State University. It was developed to simplify the transfer process for students. The University of California has developed an agreement with each California community college that specifies which of its courses may be applied to each category of the IGETC. All IGETC coursework does not have to be completed at the same college. Courses taken at more than one California community college may be used to fulfill the IGETC. However, the application of courses to IGETC subject areas may vary from college to college. 

The IGETC is most helpful to students who want to keep their options open­-those who know they want to transfer but have not yet decided upon a particular institution, campus or major. Certain students, however, will not be well served by following the IGETC.  If students intend to transfer into a major that requires extensive lower-division preparation, such as engineering or the physical and natural sciences, they should concentrate on completing the many prerequisites for the major that the college screens for to determine eligibility for admission (see IGETC Exceptions, below). Irvine Valley College counselors or UC or CSU admissions representatives can give students additional information about IGETC and advise them of which path is best for each student. 

Completing the lower-division breadth/general education requirements-through the IGETC or the campus-specific requirements (depending upon the program)-may improve a transfer applicant’s chances for admission to a competitive campus and/or program. 

GPA REQUIREMENT: IGETC courses must be completed with a grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” or “P.” For “P” (“Pass”) grades, students are allowed a limited number of units-preferably not in Area 1 (writing courses) and Area 2 (math and statistics courses) and certainly not for major preparation courses. These courses should be completed for a letter grade.

APPLYING COURSES: Courses may be used only once to satisfy one IGETC subject area, even if they are listed in the course agreement under more than one subject area. Courses may be used to satisfy both the IGETC and major requirements.

IGETC CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT: Students who complete the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) will be awarded a certificate of achievement by Irvine Valley College. 

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA IGETC EXCEPTIONS: Students with a substantial amount of coursework from institutions outside the United States should consult with a counselor. Visit for more information. Per the UC system:

BERKELEY: College of Letters and Science: Either IGETC or the college’s requirements (Reading and Composition, Quantitative Reasoning, and Language Other than English) are required by end of spring term preceding fall enrollment at Berkeley. Colleges of Engineering and Chemistry: In general, IGETC is not appropriate. College of Natural Resources: IGETC is acceptable; however specific lower division major requirements must still be satisfied. College of Environmental Design: IGETC is acceptable with full certification to fulfill CED’s breadth requirements. Partial certification will not complete the requirements. Haas School of Business: IGETC is not accepted. 

DAVIS: All undergraduate colleges accept IGETC. However, Bachelor of Science degrees and high- unit majors often have many courses for lower- division preparation; in these cases, IGETC is not recommended and the UC Davis general education pattern is the better choice.

IRVINE: All schools accept IGETC. However, selection by the campus is based on demonstrated academic achievement and preparation for the intended major.

LOS ANGELES: IGETC is acceptable in all schools.

MERCED: School of Engineering: IGETC is strongly discouraged but accepted as students are encouraged to focus on lower-division major preparation prior to transfer. School of Natural Sciences: IGETC is not recommended but accepted as students are encouraged to focus on lower-division major preparation prior to transfer. School of Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts: IGETC is recommended and students are encouraged to complete as much lower-division major preparation as possible prior to transfer.

RIVERSIDE: College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences: IGETC is recommended. College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences: IGETC is not accepted. Bourns College of Engineering: IGETC is acceptable; some additional coursework may be required. School of Business Administration: IGETC is required. 

SAN DIEGO: John Muir, Earl Warren, Eleanor Roosevelt, Thurgood Marshall and Sixth Colleges: IGETC clears lower-division GE requirements; some upper-division courses required after enrollment. Revelle College: IGETC is acceptable; however some additional coursework may be required after enrollment.

SANTA BARBARA: College of Letters and Science: IGETC is acceptable. College of Creative Studies: IGETC is acceptable. College of Engineering: Students are encouraged to focus on major preparation rather than general education, but may use IGETC to substitute for most general education requirements. However, some additional coursework may be required after enrollment to complete the depth requirement if not satisfied during IGETC certification. Students planning to transfer to UCSB into a major in engineering, computer science, biological or physical sciences, or economics must be careful to complete lower-division major prerequisites to ensure competitiveness and make normal, timely progress through their major. 

SANTA CRUZ: For physical/biological science majors or the Jack Baskin School of Engineering, IGETC is not recommended. Students should ensure completion of lower-division courses for their intended major.