Dean: Lianna Zhao, MD
Academic Chair: Kiana Tabibzadeh, PhD
Faculty: Desiré Whitmore, PhD
Nearly all modern devices interact with light. Photonics technology covers the creation and application of devices that use light. Such devices are ubiquitous in modern society, so students will be taught how these components and systems are fabricated and tested. These hands-on courses have a strong emphasis on laboratories, demonstrations, and real-world examples. Industrial-grade equipment is part of every class. These courses are taught using curricula developed by the National Science Foundation. They are based on direct industry feedback on the skill sets most in demand. Opportunities to network and earn internships with IVC's network of local industrial partners will be provided as part of this curriculum via company presentations, tours, and field trips. Students will gain the applied skills necessary to immediately become a valuable technician in industry. These skills will help students succeed in a four-year engineering program and they will help to expedite graduate school lab work. Employed professionals will have opportunity to learn the skills necessary to advance their careers and master more technically demanding job duties.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of a laser technology certificate, students will be able to
- Assemble, align, and operate a laser system safely, per industrial ANSI Z136 standards.
- Select and configure a suitable optical source for an illumination application.
- Connect the circuitry required to operate an optical detector.
- Understand the differences in application among various optical display technologies.
- Characterize the imaging performance of a camera system.
- Test the quality of optical components, including lenses, mirrors, prisms, windows, and diffraction gratings.
- Understand the processes and tests required to turn raw materials into precision optics.
- Read and write technical drawings of precision optics per ISO 10110 standards.
Examples of the industry segments hiring photonics technicians include the following:
- Laser System Technology
- Remote Sensing
- Optical Manufacturing (glass, semiconductors, plastics)
- Electronics Technology
- Semiconductor Technology
- Medical Equipment
- Chemical and Forensics Analysis
- Military, Defense, and Aerospace Technology
- Robotics, Automation, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
- Telescopes and Astronomy
- Scientific Technical Services
ProgramsCertificate of AchievementCertificate of Proficiency