Dean: Lianna Zhao, MD
Academic Chair: Kiana Tabibzadeh, PhD
Faculty: George Brogan; Amy Stinson
Geology courses at Irvine Valley College provide academic instruction in basic geological concepts and theories, and provide a solid foundation for students’ preparing for further academic study of the discipline.
Introductory courses range from survey courses in earth science, to field geology courses that explore California and our national parks and monuments, to the study of natural hazards. More specialized courses examine the physical and biological evolution of the planet Earth, and rocks and minerals found in its crust. The curriculum also includes a wide range of popular field courses within California and other areas in western North America.
The course requirements for a major in geology are intended to provide a solid foundation for a variety of student needs. Students pursuing the major may meet transfer requirements for a baccalaureate institution by completing the Associate in Arts in Geology. Students pursuing the major may meet transfer requirements for a four-year college or university; or they may complete an Associate in Arts degree in geology. For those who intend to pursue upper-division or graduate study, introductory courses in the other sciences are recommended and are necessary in addition to the core courses required for the major.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the geology program, students will be able to
- Identify the major rock-forming minerals, and classify the three types of rocks.
- Locate and identify the major lithospheric plates and plate boundaries.
- Evaluate earthquake and volcanic activity on global and local scales, and relate this activity to plate tectonic processes.
- Identify and discuss the major evolutionary changes that define the divisions of the geologic time scale.
Potential Careers (For Non-Transfer Degree Recipients)
Examples of careers for the geology major include the following:
- City or County Geologist
- Engineering Geologist
- Environmental Geologist
- Exploration Geologist with an oil or mineral’s company
- Geology teacher
ProgramsAssociate in ArtsAssociate in Science for Transfer