Dean: Lianna Zhao, MD
Academic Chair: Kiana Tabibzadeh, PhD
The curriculum in electrical and solar technology equips students with the skills necessary for working in a rapidly expanding and changing electrical and solar technological field. The core curriculum provides the theory necessary to understand existing and developing electrical technologies. Students learn to apply available technology to the solution of specific problems, with an emphasis on residential and commercial wiring design and troubleshooting of wiring systems. The curriculum provides for application of theory using hands-on learning environments. Transfer level mathematics will be employed.
The electrician trainee certificate program equips students for entry into the electrical industry in areas such as residential wiring, commercial wiring, facility maintenance, and troubleshooting electrical circuits and equipment. The solar trainee program is designed to both prepare students new to the industry and upgrade skills of those already employed in the electrical and solar photovoltaic industry.
The electrical and solar technology certificate programs provide a solid foundation for immediate employment or further study in either of these fields. After obtaining a certificate in either program, a student may seek employment as an electrical trainee, or solar installer; who designs, tests and services, residential wiring, commercial wiring, photovoltaic systems, facility maintenance, and installation of electrical equipment.
The solar photovoltaic systems technician certificate of proficiency is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to work as an entry-level technician for a photovoltaic (PV) dealer, installer, or contractor. The student is introduced to residential wiring, system design, installation methods, safety and OSHA requirements, and maintenance practices through coursework and fieldwork applications. This certificate is recommended for individuals who intend to work in the solar PV industry.
Completion of the electrician and solar trainee certificates gives the student an even broader opportunity for personal, academic, and career growth. Students may also transfer into the California State University system and complete a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or alternative energy.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the electronic technology program, students will be able to
- Analyze (predict or calculate the behavior or performance of) a specified electrical, residential or commercial wiring circuits, or solar photovoltaic system.
- Design (specifies all components, values, interconnections and, where applicable, associated hardware or software for) a solar or electrical circuit control system given standards or blueprints.
- Troubleshoot (locate and identify a faulty electrical component or wiring circuit in) a given non-functioning piece of electrical equipment or residential wiring circuit or solar photovoltaic system, and indicate the nature of the fault and remedy of the fault.
- Properly perform specified tests and measurements on current, voltage, resistance, and efficiency, on electrical motors, power panels, lighting circuits, electrical outlets, transformers, electrical devices, control circuits, and commercial operating systems.
Examples of careers in electrical and solar technology include the following:
- Apprentice Electrician Trainee
- Apprentice Maintenance Technician
- Residential Electrician Trainee
- Solar PV Technician Trainee
- Solar PV Installer Trainee
- Solar PV Contractor
With a bachelor's degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering Technology Bachelor Degree
California Electrician Certification Training
Irvine Valley College is an approved provider of Electrician Training under Assembly Bill 1087. Irvine Valley College provides instruction in part of the Curriculum Standards adopted by the Electrician Certification Curriculum Committee (ECCC) but does not provide instruction in all of the Curriculum Standards. The Electrician Training curriculum offered by Irvine Valley College covers the following Curriculum Standards adopted by the ECCC:
- Electrical Theory
ProgramsCertificate of Proficiency