2019-2020 Catalog: March 2019 Edition [ARCHIVED]
Drafting Technology and Engineering
Interim Dean: Lianna Zhao, MD
Academic Chair: Matt Wolken
Faculty: Zahra Noroozi; Matt Wolken
Computer-aided design (CAD) is not only a broad-based discipline but also a rapidly growing segment of the technical job market. Students who wish to transfer to a university engineering program or build a career in computer modeling should seek enrollment in one or more CAD courses.
The complete computer-aided design certificate introduces students to mechanical, civil, electrical and architectural modeling techniques that conform to US and international industry standards. In addition to gaining intermediate and advanced knowledge of common CAD software platforms, students receive instruction on modern manufacturing methods, materials of construction, and inspection procedures. Using traditional as well as three-dimensional computer-based graphic modeling applications, laboratory assignments are designed to develop the skills that are required to produce, revise, test, animate, and interpret typical parts or assemblies.
Working professionals or students who have previous CAD experience may choose to enroll in industry-specific advanced courses or complete a certificate of proficiency to better meet their short- and long-term needs. By completing any one of the available certificates, students ensure a high level of competency within the technology while developing a strong foundation for their professional advancement.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the drafting technology program, students will be able to
- Create ANSI and ISO standard orthographic drawings with all necessary layers, dimensions, and call-outs to industry standards using a common CAD software platform.
- Develop the basic knowledge of manufacturing, mechanical processes, and materials of construction used in design.
- Develop a working knowledge of manufacturing, mechanical processes, and materials of construction used in modern design in order to efficiently discuss and draft concepts for a common manufactured part or assembly.
Examples of industry segments hiring drafters include the following:
- Automotive Design and Manufacturing
- Biomedical and Healthcare Manufacturing
- Computer Product Manufacturing
- Environmental Design
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Metal Manufacturing
- Military and Aerospace
- Professional and Scientific Technical Services
- Robotics and Automation
- Utilities and Local Government
ProgramsAssociate in ScienceCertificate of AchievementCertificate of Proficiency