Apr 21, 2018  
2017-2018 Catalog: August 2017 Edition 
2017-2018 Catalog: August 2017 Edition [ARCHIVED]

Transfer to a Four-Year Institution


FAQs About Transferring

  1. Which courses do I have to take?
    In general, English and math are required whether you are transferring to a UC, CSU, private, or out-of-state school. Depending on your placement results, it may be necessary to take nontransferable courses before you begin your transferable English and math courses. As a transfer student, you need to declare a major when you apply to the university; so, in addition to completing general education courses (IGETC or CSU GE Breadth), it is important to complete courses that are part of the lower-division preparation for your major. Go to www.assist.org to access information about courses required for the major. Ideally, you will want to know your major as far ahead as possible before you transfer. If your major requires math and science (e.g., engineering, biology, or computer science), it is especially important that you complete those courses before you transfer.
  2. Do I have to get all requirements out of the way first?
    Basically, if you're not sure where you're going, how do you know which set of requirements to follow? Every university is going to have a similar, but somewhat different, pattern of requirements. Specific majors have extensive requirements that must be completed prior to transferring. Examples of these majors are engineering, architecture, art, music, and most sciences (consult a counselor regarding requirements for these majors).
  3. What if I don't know what I want to major in or where I want to transfer? This is typical of students everywhere. Again, these decisions take time and exposure, so don't pressure yourself into making a premature decision. Deciding what you will major in may eliminate a certain amount of anxiety, but if you make an unexamined choice, you may easily select the wrong major. You are encouraged to sign up for Counseling 102, Career Exploration and Life Planning, a course designed to assist students in deciding on a career, or Counseling 1, Academic Planning, a course designed to assist students in developing an individualized educational plan.
  4. How can I become eligible to transfer as a junior to the UC or CSU system?

    If you're not eligible to enter UC or CSU as a high school senior, you need to complete 60 transferable units with a minimum 2.0 GPA (2.4 if you are a nonresident) for CSU, and 60 transferable units with a minimum 2.4 GPA (2.8 if you are a nonresident) for UC. You must also clear up any course deficiencies you may have had as a graduating high school senior (e.g., algebra, English, lab science, etc.). 

    Meeting these criteria establishes minimum eligibility but does not guarantee admission. As a California community college student, you will be given preference over transfer students from four-year universities. The only exception to this policy is entrance into impacted majors, where you must meet other criteria as stipulated. Check with a counselor to find out if the major you're considering is impacted at any of the UC or CSU campuses. Also ask a counselor about the new Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees, which guarantee admission to a CSU campus, and about TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) programs to the UC campuses.

  5. How can I tell if a course is transferable?
    The "transferability" of a course is indicated by its number. Almost every IVC course numbered 1-199 will transfer to the CSU system. UC will accept most courses numbered 1-99; however, there are exceptions to this rule. Be sure to check the 2017-18 UC Course List  and confer with an IVC counselor if you have any questions about the transferability of a particular course.
  6. What's an associate degree? Do I need one to transfer?

    An associate degree signifies you have completed two years of college study. Having the degree can be useful when you are applying for jobs or seeking promotions. You do not have to complete the degree in order to transfer, but you can earn the degree by completing the same courses as those required to transfer. For many students, getting the degree is rewarding; it functions as a benchmark along the way to a bachelor's degree. 

    You should be aware that requirements for the associate degree may not be the same as requirements for transfer. The new Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees allow students to complete both an associate degree and lower-division transfer requirements for a major. It is important to consult with a counselor to formulate an educational plan that will best suit your individual needs and goals.

  7. What are "articulation agreements"?

    These are agreements developed cooperatively between IVC and other colleges indicating comparable courses and transferability. They are used in planning your transfer program. IVC has articulation agreements with all UC and most CSU campuses, and with many of the private colleges in Orange County and Los Angeles such as Chapman University. 

    If the college or university you plan to attend does not currently have an articulation agreement with IVC, make an appointment with a counselor. Bring the catalog of the transfer institution to the appointment. 

    All students are encouraged to go to www.assist.org to find the most up-to-date articulation information with all UC and CSU campuses. For more information, visit the Transfer Center (949-451-5339) or meet with a counselor (949-451-5251).